Our clients products are required to meet a range of stringent standards for quality and safety. Increasingly, their consumers also expect our clients products to come from socially and environmentally responsible sources. As brand owners, our clients work hard to comply with these standards to define and adhere to their own ethical values and company vision. However, it is also essential that they manage their suppliers to ensure that they also meet all these critical requirements. As a recognised leader of global supplier management and quality assurance services, our clients hire Infinite Sum to build and manage large supplier networks on their behalf all over the world.
We are regularly seeking Globally based Supplier Development Engineers, who are looking for an exciting and challenging career with Infinite Sum – an employer that enables you to work in a flexible environment both in terms of geography and time.
As part of the Infinite Sum Supplier Development & Performance Management (SD&PM) teams based internationally, the role of a Supplier Development Engineer is to work primarily on-site at the manufacturing sites of our clients global suppliers and liaise closely with the Infinite Sum client facing teams in North America and Europe.
The role of the (SD&PM) team is to develop new supply sources for our clients and to improve the quality and cost competitiveness of those suppliers. Responsibilities will include cross-functional program management to qualify new product, supporting issues with current production, developing new suppliers to reduce cost, increase capacity, and to assist Infinite Sum auditing teams to ensure supplier process conformance. Manage the customer specific requirements and offer technical support. Work on multiple phases or sub-tasks of projects or entire projects of moderate complexity, with results impacting on project completion.
We seek to fill these roles in various locations around the world including as priority (but not limited to):
We seek individuals with the relevent industry experience in the following industries:
- Food (Finished Packaged Goods)
- Packaging (Flexible and Rigid)
- Consumer Packaged Goods (Primarily electronics)
- Personal Care
- Health & Beauty
- General Manufacturing
General and Task Management
- Interface with component teams to prioritise supplier development needs by component to improve cost competitiveness or supply constraints
- Assist Infinite Sum sourcing teams with technical support to drive supplier selection through robust qualification processes
- Assess new and existing supplier capabilities to meet product, cost, quality, capacity and fulfillment ensuring suppliers are able to meet our client requirements for performance, quality, cost and delivery of product and requirements for relevant international standards and other applicable customer and internal system and reputation requirements
- Based on screening, prioritise preferred suppliers
- Drive improvements utilizing Lean methodologies, supplier scorecards and support Infinite Sum supplier audit process, ensuring supplier compliance, whilst driving systematic problem solving and process improvement plans to deliver value
- Track the supplier’s performance indicators, based on their scorecards and rankings, to facilitate and develop the supply base’s ability to consistently meet or exceed defined expectations
- Develop positive relationships and work closely with Infinite Sum and sourcing leaders to manage, implement and track supplier/engineering, design changes, capacity studies and New Product Introductions, and transfers
- Deliver results as measured by key metrics, such as supplier yield, field cost, field defect rate, supplier quality plan engagement/effectiveness, and corrective & preventative action closure
- Specify, develop, and validate advanced technology, quality information and test equipment
- Specify and develop product acceptance/test procedures that relate to a complex process (state-of-the-art) or highly complex product
- Provide correlation with company facilities
- Act as consultant to communicate and coach the suppliers Quality, Manufacturing, Engineering and procurement organizations to drive cost effective improvements to Quality and Manufacturing processes, minimising waste, introduce new products and improve product design
- Provide technical expertise and leadership to sourcing and development of suppliers with respect to technology, performance, quality, cost, logistics and delivery
- Provide leadership during investigations of major problems and or special projects focusing on developing working relationships with suppliers and the supply chain with regard to product development and procurement of parts
- Responsible for leading the solution for supplier component concerns, driving Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), customer interaction, supplier interaction, Value Analysis/Value Engineering (VA/VE) support, supplier component development and approval and supplier cost improvements
- Carry out new supplier validation audits, with supplier support and supplier Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)
- Assist with new product launch by working with suppliers to ensure that key milestones are achieved
- Work with supplier Engineering (Design and Manufacturing Engineers) team to define process parameters and criteria to ensure supplier process capability is effective to meet product and process requirements
- Keep up with current and developing manufacturing and engineering trends that concern product quality
- Contribute to continuous improvement activities
- Provide technical expertise to client suppliers in solving technical problems associated with product supply and test facilities
- Write reports and present progress at project meetings and to clients
- Achieve goals within budget
- Conduct benchmarking studies to determine best practices/designs and future trends
- Undertake personal continuous training and development
- Perform root cause analysis and resolve problems
- Independently determine approach and assigned tasks
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance
- Communicate efficiently throughout procurement and directly with customer’s/suppliers management
- Diplomatic approach to relationships
Skills & Attributes:
- Experience in Sourcing, Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing and program management
- Experience in developing and implementing vendor qualification
- Knowledge of quality and business systems
- Commercial and financial acumen
- Strong knowledge of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP),
- Production Part Approval Process (PPAP),
- Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
- Experience with cross functional management
- Report and Procedure writing with excellent presentation skills
- Understanding and interpretation of engineering drawings
- Understanding manufacturing processes
- Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment
- Planning and prioritising activities
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong negotiation and influential skills
- Ability to present data effectively
- Numerically astute with strong problem-solving skills and expertise to develop and execute objectives for self and others and the ability to effect short-term and some long-term business goals
Qualifications and Experience Levels:
- Must be fluent in both English and the domestic language of specific country located.
- For European based engineers, a working knowledge of German would be a distinct advantage
- Relevant manufacturing/engineering degree preferred but not necessary with relevant amount of experience
- Substantial experience in a high volume manufacturing environment
- Substantial experience in supplier development
- Experience of dealing with customers and suppliers
Example roles this description may cover:
- Supplier performance Engineer
- Lead Supplier Engineer
Applicants for employment in the country listed must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorisation in the specific country with Infinite Sum. Candidates who are currently employed by a client of Infinite Sum or an affiliated Infinite Sum partner business may not be eligible for consideration.
What we can offer you
We will work with you to ensure you get an opportunity to work on project assignments that suit your personal and professional goals. Opportunity to work from home if wish, within a daily commute of a client location, or if you are adventurous we can post you to an international assignment working in multicultural and dynamic teams both internally and at our client sites. Career development opportunities are offered at all of our international offices.
What are the next steps?
If this sounds like the ideal role, career and company for you, click below to apply.
ABOUT INFINITE SUM
Infinite Sum is a global management consulting firm made up of experienced business executives and consultants that deliver immediate and long-term solutions and real profit to our clients. Since 1993, we have been retained as consultants and trusted partners to many clients ranging from fortune 500s to some with revenues of less than $100m.
Combining deep industry knowledge with specialised expertise in global sourcing, operations consulting and international market development and sales solutions we advise our clients on their most critical issues and opportunities relating to their global initiatives. We provide this advice and support across numerous industries and geographies, with particular emphasis on emerging markets.
Infinite Sum is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of society and does not discriminate on grounds of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, or gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law.